Bank and Check Fraud
Bank fraud is the most common and costly type of deception in the United States. If you are charged with this case, you’ll need the help of a highly specialized bank fraud attorney in Los Angeles.
According to Statista, the value of bank fraud in the United States in 2021 was $756 million. Check fraud, on the other hand, is seventh on their list, with the total value in 2021 coming in at $153 million.
What is Bank and Check Fraud?
Bank fraud encompasses a wide range of illegal behavior. This favors prosecutors who can lay several criminal charges against you. According to federal law, bank fraud is an attempt to defraud a financial institution or obtain money or assets owned by the bank under false pretenses.
Note that there need only be an attempt to commit the crime, and it would make no difference if you were successful or not.
Check fraud is defined as intentionally using a bad check, considered a worthless negotiable instrument, to obtain something with actual value. In check fraud cases, prosecutors must prove that you had knowledge or could reasonably be expected to have knowledge that it was a bad check and would be returned.
A California check fraud lawyer in Los Angeles from LibertyBell Law Group has the experience and know-how to make the letter of the law work for you, not against you.
It’s important to know that bank fraud is not only a federal crime but also a state crime, so you could be charged twice. Considering that you could get a 30-year prison sentence if you’re found guilty, you definitely want a bank fraud defense attorney in Los Angeles, like LibertyBell Law Group, on your side.
Types Of Bank Fraud Schemes
It’s been established that bank fraud is an umbrella term for many other criminal offenses. Examples of bank fraud include the following:
- Mail fraud – When someone tries to access funds through fraudulent representation via mail.
- Wire fraud or wire transfer fraud – When someone captures the details of a banking customer and transfers money to their account. Another method is to get the victim to trust the fraudster, through a guise of some kind, sufficiently to wire them money directly.
- Application fraud – When someone uses fake details, or the details from a stolen identity, on loan applications or other documents that enable them to obtain funds illegally. Synthetic IDs are also used.
- Falsifying documents – When someone misrepresents information on documents to access funds.
- Check fraud – When someone uses fake checks or forged checks to access funds.
- Loan fraud – When someone misrepresents information or uses other illegal means to access funds through a loan.
- Counterfeit bank documents – When someone uses false bank documents that are identical to genuine bank documents to gain access to funds.
- Tax fraud – When someone or some company/organization/business purposely fails to meet their tax obligations.
Rather than be railroaded onto fraud charges and then into prison, use Google’s valuable tool to help you find a bank fraud attorney near me. LibertyBell Law Group will be there to ensure you are defended by the best in the business.
Understanding Bank Fraud and its Penalties
It’s a grave mistake to think of your bank fraud charge as a misdemeanor that will result in a slap on the wrist. Bank fraud is a serious federal crime. In California, there are three serious penalties.
- A fine of up to $100,000.
- A prison sentence of up to 30 years.
- A fine of $100,000 and a prison sentence of up to 30 years.
If you’re in a bind, contact LibertyBell Law Group, a top bank fraud investigator and attorney in Los Angeles.
8 Types of Check Fraud Schemes
There are at least eight types of check fraud schemes, including the following:
- Bank check fraud or paperhanging – When someone orders a check for a closed account or writes checks on a closed account.
- Fake check fraud – When someone forges or duplicates checks using advanced technology.
- Check washing – When someone uses solvents and chemicals to alter details on the check.
- Cashier’s check fraud – When someone (the fraudster) gives a seller a cashier’s check that is for more than the purchase price. The buyer or fraudster asks for a cash refund for the extra amount. The fraudster walks away with money in their pocket, while the seller discovers that the check isn’t valid.
- Payroll check scam – When someone creates fake payroll checks or alters genuine checks using chemicals or other advanced techniques.
- Check cashing fraud – When check-cashing stores cash checks they know are invalid, or if they purposely cash tax refund checks for identity thieves.
- Check deposit scams – When someone asks a victim to deposit a check into an account in exchange for cash, minus a small commission. The check is then found to be invalid.
- Check kiting fraud – When someone opens accounts at several banks or other financial institutions and creates fraudulent balances by writing checks from one account to another. They use the float time after the check is cashed and before the money is deducted to give the impression that the account contains money.
Check fraud is investigated by state or federal authorities, which is why you need a check fraud lawyer in Los Angeles in your corner.
Understanding Check Fraud and its Penalties
Check fraud is a wobbler offense. The prosecution can use its judgment to decide if they’re going to charge you with felony check fraud or a misdemeanor. Prosecutors weigh their decision against the nature or severity of your crime and criminal history.
In California, if you’re found guilty of a misdemeanor, you can be sentenced to up to one year in a county jail and have to pay a $1,000 fine. There are four possible outcomes if you’re charged with a felony, these are:
- Possible probation for up to three years and up to one year in county jail.
- A fine of up to $10,000.
- A16 months, two years, or three years in county jail.
- A fine of up to $10,000 and a prison sentence of 16 months, two years, or three years in county jail.
If you’re stuck in a jam, connect with a leading check fraud attorney in Los Angeles, and contact LibertyBell Law Group.
Do You Need a Bank and Check Fraud Attorney in Los Angeles?
You must realize that prosecutors only pursue cases they feel they can win. You need an experienced bank fraud attorney in Los Angeles to investigate the case further and find evidence that will provide reasonable doubt as to your guilt.
Our Los Angeles lawyer for a fraud check case has one goal, and that is to get the case dismissed or get the charges reduced to the absolute minimum with minimum penalties.
For a free consultation with a bank fraud defense attorney in Los Angeles, contact us at 877-545-3559 at LibertyBell Law Group today!
At A Glance
- Expert legal strategist.
- Experienced in both prosecution and defense.
- Relentless fighter for her clients with results to prove it.
- Received the National Top 100 Trial Lawyers Award
- Featured in Time Magazine’s “Leaders of Criminal Defense” in the 100 Most Influential People edition.
Executive Managing Attorney Gina Tennen is a renowned leading advocate of personal liberties. Her meticulous trial preparation and exceptional ability to pursue every possible defense has earned her the admiration of clients and respect from prosecutors, judges, and other criminal attorneys all over the nation.
Lawyer Tennen began her career as a Senior Law Clerk for one of the toughest District Attorney’s offices in the country where she gained remarkable experience in juvenile crimes, elder abuse, parole hearings, child abuse, sex and other serious crimes. Her experience at the District Attorney’s Office armed her knowledge and case strategy in exploiting the other side’s weaknesses for the client’s advantage and building a rock solid defense. Criminal attorney Tennen’s experience on both sides and brilliant maneuvering throughout is evidenced in her winning track record. In fact, even before earning her law degree, she was instrumental in getting excellent results on several criminal cases outshining her peers.
A consummate strategist and top criminal attorney, lawyer Tennen works tirelessly on many high profile criminal cases. She is known as a relentless fighter who never gives up on any case. Whether the case is hers or handled by another criminal defense attorney from LibertyBell Law Group, no matter how small the case may seem she asserts that every client deserves the right to the best legal representation.
It is her deep belief and what she has built her entire career and lifelong dedication to that there is always hope for every client and every avenue should be pursued regardless of the time and energy it takes. For Los Angeles criminal lawyer, Gina Tennen, devoting the finest criminal defense for clients is a habit and talent that you must apply and do all the time.
You demand the best defense. Take hold of your life and speak to our defense attorneys by calling 855-LAW-PRO1 (855-529-7761) now.
Founder Gina Tennen and all the defense attorneys at LibertyBell Law Group uphold that when the bell rings, it rings for life and liberty for all.
REQUEST A FREE CONSULTATION
WHAT OUR CLIENTS SAY:
Gina was like a lioness protecting her cub.
I hired Gina and her team for my son who was facing 10 years for something they said he did when he was 17 years old. Gina was like a lioness protecting her cub. She did not stop. She fought hard and was able to defend the charges. We are so grateful to her and her team. They gave us our son. He recovered his life!– L. W.
Best defense lawyers in the country.
I hired this law firm in 2014 for my son who was facing 16 years in prison for a felony robbery. Lina Helou answered all our questions. I was extremely distraught regarding what my son was facing but Lina comforted me and told me that it would be okay. And thank goodness LibertyBell saved my son from going to jail and they were able to obtain only 3 years of probation. I could not have hired a better law firm for my son and if you want the best defense call LibertyBell Law Group. Thank God for this great group of lawyers.– V. J.
A great team of lawyers.
I do not have enough words to describe how incredible the experience with this firm was. They work very hard to make sure you have winning results. I could not have asked for better service from the moment I called, until my case was over. I was glad I made the right choice. Thank you again LibertyBell Law Group!– S. O.
She took her time to review all of my evidence and proved my innocence.
My father had found this group through his company and coworkers. I was assigned Gina Tennen and I cannot explain in just a review on how gratefull I am to be working with her. My case was an accusation of unlawful sex. This had looked extremely bad on my part since I was in a fraternity and she was in a sorority. During these times with Greek life, there are too many bad stigmas surrounding these organizations. Gina had believed in me and knew that I was innocent and that these accusations just were not true. She took her time to review all of my evidence and proved my innocence. I totally recommend this law group because they are willing to put in the work to help your situation.– C. D.
Gina always kept me fully aware of how the case was proceeding.
When I first heard I was under a criminal investigation, I initially thought I would try and resolve this in the best way possible, without legal representation, as we were all interested in a "just" outcome. I quickly discovered that was not the case and contacted Gina at Liberty Bell. She clearly described the expectations and the choices available to me. She was always available to me, and when I called, if she couldn't talk with me at that time, she would quickly get back to me. Gina always kept me fully aware of how the case was proceeding. Her fee's were stipulated up front, as well as what those fees covered and what they did not.– S. B.
Attorney Gina Tennen was on point from day one.
Attorney Gina Tennen was on point from day one putting pressure on the sherrif's office to get things handled. With Child molestation accusatinos being thrown around Gina and Attorney Castro were great at keeping the pressure on and had no charges filled. The DCFS indications were appealed and we won with flying colors. Great service, great work, and will use again for all legal matters.– A. B.
Will Recommend, Total Experience, Awesome Team
Being involved in legal matters can be scary. When researching who to put my trust in, I came across Liberty and I am glad that I did. From the first time that I met with Gina and her team she made me feel comfortable and listened to all that I had to say. She assured me that her team would be on it and that they would do everything that they could! A little while in, Alan took over my case. When meeting with him you can tell that this is his passion and I immediately knew he was going to do everything in his power to make the outcome right! He was relentless and worked day and night working on the case. He kept in constant communication with me and truly cared not only about me but about my family as well. I am forever grateful for the support that this whole team has given me and would definitely recommend them to anyone who is looking for truly the best lawyers!– L. B.