Need a drunk driving lawyer? We can help.
Being convicted of a DUI can change everything in your life. A DUI conviction can cause you financial problems, impact your work or ability to get work and cause tension between you and your loved ones. A DUI conviction will go on your record for a minimum of 10 years, depending on the state where you were convicted. That is a long time to deal with these problems.
The best thing you can do if you have been arrested for DUI is to contact a drunk driving lawyer to represent your case. If you want to know how to beat a DUI, the best way is with a good lawyer.
What Happens When You Get Pulled Over and Falsely Arrested for a DUI
When you are pulled over for suspected DUI, the first thing that the police will do is ask for your license and registration. They will then ask you if you have been drinking. At this point, you should refrain from saying anything or politely say, “no.”
Next, the police officer will provide a field sobriety test. In most states, this consists of breathing into a breathalyzer machine to determine your blood alcohol content (BAC). You should cooperate fully with the officers and perform the test.
If the police conclude that you are driving under the influence because of the test results, you will be arrested. You should go with the police officers calmly and allow the arrest to proceed. Step one in how to beat a DUI is to never fight with the officers. Aggressive behavior is seen as a sign of being under the influence.
Once you have been booked and subsequently released from jail, you should immediately contact a drunk driving lawyer. Your drunk driving lawyer will start to build your defense right away. Contacting an attorney quickly will always be in your best interest because it helps the lawyer build a stronger case.
Steps to Take if You Get Arrested for a DUI
- Go with the police without fighting.
- Refrain from saying anything that could be seen as an admission of guilt. It will always be in your best interest to stay quiet throughout the booking process.
- Do not make a statement verbal or written to the police. You have the right to remain silent.
- Once you have been released, contact a drunk driving lawyer so you can immediately start building your defense. Your attorney will know how to beat a DUI charge.
- Do not post anything about when you were pulled over, the arrest, about getting out of jail, or anything you have spoken with your attorney about your case on social media.
- Refrain from posting other social media things concerning drinking, partying, or other similar acts. The prosecutor is watching your social media account, and that is public information once you have made the post.
- Do not post anything hostile on your social media account against the police or the prosecutor.
Understand Your Rights if Arrested for a DUI
If you are arrested for DUI, you should understand the following:
- You have the right to remain silent – use this right to your advantage. Refrain from making any statements to the police. Wait until you talk with your drunk driving lawyer before making any official statements.
- You have the right to an attorney. You should never try to fight a DUI charge alone. Hire a drunk driving lawyer to manage your case so that you can get the best possible outcome.
- You are not guilty until convicted n a court of law. This is the most important thing to remember. Just because you have been arrested and charged with a DUI does not mean that you have been convicted of a DUI. You are innocent until proven guilty. You do have the ability to contact a drunk driving lawyer and learn how to beat a DUI charge against you.
How to Beat a DUI When Falsely Arrested
There are several defenses that your drunk driving lawyer can use on your behalf when you have been charged with DUI. Depending on the facts of your case, your attorney may use one or more of the following defenses:
- Faulty or uncalibrated testing equipment for checking BAC
- Inexperienced or uncertified person giving BA test
- Break in the chain of command for testing samples
- Paperwork problems with the arrest
- Health conditions such as GERD that could affect the test results
- Same-day dental work performed, which can affect the test results
- Traffic stop was not warranted – no probable cause
- Police interference with the testing
There are many other issues that your drunk driving lawyer may address to show how your arrest for DUI was invalid. Your attorney will discuss your defense with you before going to court.
Why You Need a Drunk Driving Lawyer
Many people believe that since they have been arrested for DUI, they should just self-represent in court and plead guilty. They think this will save time and money. The exact opposite is true. A DUI conviction could cause you financial hardships for the next decade if you are convicted. If you have been arrested for DUI, do yourself a favor and contact a drunk driving lawyer to manage your case.
Many DUI cases are dismissed when the attorney presents relevant information to the court. Protect yourself and your future by having a drunk driving lawyer build and represent your case.